Introductory Post for Instructional Media

This is my party, I can cry if I want to. 
In other techy words, this is my blog, and I can blog how I want to. I am a true believer that all blog posts need an image.
I am a professional blogger, so I am stoked to have this format as a digital tracking tool for EDSC3250 with Dr. Suzy Cox at Utah Valley University.
I have earned income with blogging in the past, but somehow I think this blog might be one that will help me most in my next career as a teacher. 
I am passionate about technology and its ability to make my life easier, my use of instruction time more effective, and its use in the classroom preparing young people for more successful lives. I've envisioned my future students researching and typing papers in class on their devices and then using the same technology to continue working at home. They will edit and share in a way that seems will be modeled in this class. Technology is a mighty tool of collaboration. With much power comes much responsibility, and I intend to wield my technological influence to its fullest.
This post will be in an question answer format. Perhaps, the entire blog will be. Time shall tell.
1. What is digital literacy and why is it important? 
Ed week says that digital literacy is such a broad term that "some experts even stay away from it," but they refer to the definition provided by the American Library Association's digital-literacy task force as a legitimate one:  "Digital literacy is the ability to use information and communication technologies to find, evaluate, create, and communicate information, requiring both cognitive and technical skills." I agree with this definition. In fact, it excites me.
2. What should students be able to do with technology?
While reading, 7 Reasons Why Digital Literacy is Important for Teachers, I pondered on the highest form of learning from Bloom's Taxonomy -- create.
What students should be able to do is endless. They should be able to create all kinds of things. There is no limit to the capacity of creation. I am an English education major and with English alone, my students can create libraries full of writing they accomplished using technology. They can also write computer code, using English skills. That computer code has infinite possibilities.
At the very least, students should be able to use email, a basic web browser, and word processing application. At their highest accomplishments, they should be able to code, to utilize spreadsheets, and databases.
photo from https://rossieronline.usc.edu/blog/teacher-digital-literacy/

3. Why is it important for us to use technology in education?
In this article, teachers are referred to as reformers who"use new software to personali's'e learning." How cool is that? I want to be a reformer!!! If I compete head to head with a teacher with the exact same abilities as me, but I do only one thing different -- teach my students computer skills-- then my students leave class infinitesimally more prepared for the world that awaits them. 
4. What concerns do you have about using technology in education?
My only concern is that I will look like an idiot because I won't know as much as my students or be able to mentor them effectively.
5. What is your current stance on the use of technology in education?
If you haven't figured this out by now, I am 100% FOR use of technology. I think it is a great disservice to any student in 2018 not to integrate it.
6. What are your goals for this course?
I want to learn the best resources and how to use them in the most engaging ways. I want to gain a database full of research to arm myself with when I have to go to administrators and school-boards to fight for technological funds.

Comments

Popular Posts