UDL: Representation

Photo by William Iven on Unsplash

"Resourceful teachers enlist a variety of materials and learning experiences that involve all learners in meaningful ways. The core principles of UDL are multiple means of representation, multiple means for engagement, and multiple means for action and expression.

Universal Design for Learning: A Blueprint for Success for All Learners


Today, we are talking about UDL or Universal Design for Learning, more specifically, the "representation" third of the equation. The other two-thirds will have to wait for another time. If you are interested, they are "engagement" and "action and expression."

Representation can be explained simply by teaching in ways that supports all learners. This doesn't mean that we tailor lessons to individuals, but almost the opposite. It means that we design our lessons in such a way that will support ALL students because we always integrate various methods that will engage everyone. In the article already quoted at the top of this post it explains: "Using multiple means of representation involves educators providing all learners with options for perception, language and symbols, and comprehension."

What does the research say about this?


UDL is only about 25 years old, and research is still being collected, but one study I read said that "high school students who used UDL-aligned content acquisition podcasts consistently scored higher." This is very encouraging and common sense. I think any student that takes time to supplement with relevant and engaging pod-casts will automatically become more attached to content material. 

How can "representation" be effectively integrated into your teaching?

As I explained above, "representation" is not about gearing teaching to individuals but designing lesson plans in such a way that will already consider all types of learners. For instance, if I am teaching To Kill A Mockingbird, as a teacher who effectively utilizes UDL principles, my lesson will include much more than just reading and discussing the text. It would also include audio-visual material, an artistic element (creating a book cover true to book theme), maybe a math or science crossover activity, a class presentation, an online discussion portion, etc. Ideally, it would include a choice of those things for students to pick what mode works best for their learning. If they hate rote quizzing, they can do something else that shows their mastery of the material.

How will this help your students?

I think one of the greatest benefits of UDL is interest level and engagement. No one likes to be forced to learn in a way that doesn't serve them. For me, I have a very hard time memorizing and regurgitating information. I have to use every trick in the book to be able to do this. It takes a lot of time and effort. It isn't fun. Hand me a book, though, and let me annotate it with my own symbolical system and I am like a giddy kid in a candy-store.

What are your goals with regard to this topic?

My short-term goals are to learn more representation methods. My long-term goals are to become a UDL master. I want students to be talking in the halls and saying, "You have to take Mrs. Gold's class. I learned so much and had so much fun."

How does this shape your vision for empowered learning for your students?

My students will hopefully learn from me that they can learn for themselves and that learning is awesome!

Comments

Popular Posts