Online Teaching


Image can be found here on jeshoots.

In Should We Limit "Screen Time" in School?, an article in Education Next, Winter 2018 ed., authors/educators, Daniel Scoggin and Tom Vander Ark, said,

"Technology is an amplifier." It can make good parents, teachers, and experiences better -- or it can have the opposite effect...the effective use of ed-tech requires thoughtful management and oversight by teachers and parents. Caring adults also need to help young people develop positive self-regulation habits." (61).

Citing an Education Week analysis, Scoggin and Vender Ark state, that "more gadgets don't necessarily equal more learning." "Increased access has not lead to 'better' use...rote activities such as math drills and practice now occur more frequently." 
Studies show that it is in active-use, where students are required to do critical thinking, that students will do the most effective learning. Scoggin and Vander Ark focus on "five key innovations and trends" which are: "worldwide connectivity, intimate computing, experiential computing, tech-facilitated personalized learning, and competency and credentials."

I wholeheartedly agree with Scoggin and Vander Ark in all their claims. As a college student in my educational technology class, I was exposed to effective online learning models. Interaction is a vital component to online learning. In fact, interaction is the reason that I have solely sought out traditional classes during my college career. I learn very little from just sitting at a screen being given rote information that I am expected to give back in a formative assessment. I am much more of a performative person. I seek out real-life valuable application of what I learn. I imagine, because I am that type of learner, that I will be a teacher dedicated to giving students responsible, interactive, connected, personalized, and relevant online learning opportunities.

The young people of today have the world at their fingertips, but because they have information at their fingertips at the touch of the button, they can sometimes get lazy about transferring that information as a permanent fixture in their brains. I know this because I have 5 kids who watch way too much YouTube and google everything all of the time. My hope as a teacher will be to facilitate hands-on project-based learning that will get knowledge to stay with them whether they want it to or not. I believe a hybrid setting will give the best results, but if only a portion of face-to-face is possible, then I will include as much pseudo face-to-face as I can into my lesson plans, such as, skype conferencing, chat rooms, and collaborations. 

Comments

Popular Posts